• NovaStar reviewer Mary Ann Moore is a poet, writer and creativity facilitator in Nanaimo, British Columbia. "Ever since carrying them around, for the feel and smell of them, I have loved books—before I had yet learned to read! Writing book reviews comes out of my life-long love of sharing stories. Writing a review involves a closer examination of a book and further learning about its subject and it author. How DID she make it work? In the twenty years I have been offering women's writing circles, I have found it an honour to give women a voice, where they awaken to their full potential. As well as offering circles in my own home studio, I have facilitated circles for the mental health community, a First Nations reserve; community care workers and hospice counselors; women's retreats and conferences; and adult literacy programs. I offer one to one mentoring, which can be done by distance, as well as self-guiding materials through The Flying Mermaids Studio on my website. My poetry, fiction, book reviews, personal essays and articles have appeared in various publications in Canada and in the U.S. I very much appreciate being on the Story Circle review team and having the opportunity of sharing reviews with other women. May they in turn be inspired to read and reflect on their own story."
• Our reviewers have been busy. We're pleased to announce that Helene Benardo is now an Associate reviewer!
• Our editors and reviewers are active writers. Here are some of their recent projects:
- Susan Wittig Albert's article about the writing of A Wilder Rose appeared in the February 2015 issue of Writers Digest.
- Edith O'Nuallain's review of Girl Reading was published in Calyx: A Journal of Art and Literature by Women.
- Join Susan J. Tweit for "Write & Retreat: Yellowstone Country," September 13-18, 2015 at a comfortable retreat center outside Cody, Wyoming, for a week of inspiration and writing workshops, interspersed with field trips to spectacular scenery and world-class museums, plus time to simply relax and recharge. Give yourself the gift of "time away" to deepen your writing and enrich your life. For more info, see the brochure.
• Browse through our listing of books by women about American women in their cultural and historical contexts. At Story Circle, we are passionate about women's stories and are grateful to the authors who bring these stories to us. The books on this list deserve to be read and appreciated. They are books that matter, about strong women who have played significant roles in all fields of human endeavor. (Special thanks to Susan Schoch, who compiled this list for us.)
• If you'd like to learn more about SCN, the best place to start is with our leadership team: women who have devoted their energies to making SCN a home for women who want to write about women's lives. Go here to meet these nine remarkable women.
• SCN Online Classes.
The Story Circle Network offers the only online lifewriting program designed exclusively for women. We teach general writing skills, organization, and critical editing, as well as technical skills in book design and development, online marketing, blogging, and other Internet-related activities. Through our Independent Study Program we can connect you with a helpful mentor who will provides you with individually tailored, constructive assistance designed to help you strengthen your writing, sustain your efforts, and complete your projects. For full class listings, faculty bios, enrollment, and more, visit our website.
• Advertising with SCN.
As you plan the marketing campaign for your book, writing program, or writing-related workshop or conference, please consider Story Circle as a partner in your promotional efforts. Story Circle provides a unique voice and a wide range of services for women readers and writers. Partnering with us allows you to target your promotion efforts and take advantage of SCN's growing reputation in the international community of women writers. Depending on your budget, you can choose from five packages.
• Story Circle Editorial Service.
We can help you find the editor who is just right for your project. Your manuscript deserves respect, careful attention, and an editor who understands your needs and goals. Our service is unique...designed just for you.
• HerStories and One Woman's Day.
SCN hosts two blogs and dozens of bloggers. The HerStories bloggers are a dozen women writers and teachers who regularly share their passion for the how-to and why, the art and craft of lifewriting. The One Woman's Day bloggers share occasional stories of the special days of their lives. If you're a member and would like to contribute to OWD, visit the blog and see how to get involved.
• Here at SCBR, we always receive more wonderful books than we can possibly review. So we've created a new feature on our website: a section called Briefly Reviewed, a selection of titles, briefly described, that represent the wide range of recently-published memoirs written by strong women who have been there, done that, and lived to tell the tale. Recommended for your reading pleasure!
• Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, & Pinterest.